Sunday, August 2, 2009

Homemade Fish and Chips

Last Sunday, Liverpool came over to our small island and played a friendly match against us at Kallang Stadium and what a good way to catch the game over a plate of good old English Beer Battered Fish and Chips!

I took the recipe from Jamie Oliver's cooking program which consists of lager beer (which I used Tiger Beer), egg and plain flour. As for the fish, I didn't use Haddock Cod fish which the English used to cook their fish and chips because it wasn't available at our supermarkets. Instead, I used the Red Snapper. However, by using the Red Snapper, the meat tend to be bigger after I deep-fried them as if they have expanded when they are swimming in the hot oil. As this was my first attempt cooking fish and chips, I was elated that the fish turned out to be quite good.

The fish was moist and flaky on the inside while the outside was crispy and crunchy due to the batter, whereas, the fries were slightly overcooked. Thus, the colour of the chips were a little too brown for anyone liking. My dad thought that I burned the fries or something. But overall, it was lovely.

Other than Fish and Chips, I cooked a plate of Fried Rice and some Chicken Wings as my dad, my bro and I enjoyed the game.

Anyway, the game was a boring one with Liverpool defeating Singapore 5-0.

No comments: