Sunday, August 10, 2008

National Day Meals


On National Day, I had Nasi Briyani (S$4) for lunch at a coffeeshop at Telok Blangah/Mount Faber Housing Estate. As much as it was a public holiday, I still had a meeting to attend at my friend's place. So the host, Aaron brought the three of us - Annabelle, Dawn and I to his favourite food hangout which is an Indian Muslim Coffeeshop for a plate of spicy Nasi Briyani.

Coincidentally, everyone ordered Chicken Nasi Briyani and when the food arrived on our table, all the chicken looked differently. Some came in chicken wing portion while the others came in chicken thigh portion. For me, it was the chicken wing portion. The food portion was quite reasonable. It came with brinjal as the side dish and the chicken came in a quarter, not half. The rice was fluffy and fragrant. But the chicken tasted a little salty.

The person also gave us an additional plate of curry for us to pour over our fluffy rice but I did so with only a few spoonfuls of it.

For drinks, I ordered Teh Tarik (approx. S$1). It was neither too sweet nor bland.

In the evening, my mum prepared chicken rice for us as we sat down to watch the National Day Parade on TV. The chicken she used was the old chicken and in order to appreciate it, it requires an acquired taste. Usually, old chickens are used to make soup stock for shark fin soups or other kinds of soups. Subsequently, my mum gave me all the chicken breast meat for me to eat, instead of the thighs or drumsticks.

My plate of chicken breast meat.

My mum also cooked Chap Chye which is actually a stir-fried mixed vegetables filled with cabbage, fungus mushroom, tanghoon and etc.

No comments: