Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tonkatsu for Dinner

29/06/09, Monday - After a meeting with my lecturer, I went back home to cook Tonkatsu for my family. Tonkatsu means breaded pork cutlet. The day before, my dad bought a huge pork fillet at least a few kg so my mum suggested that I fried some pork cutlets.

Well, I sliced the huge pork fillet into eight pork cutlets. Subsequently, I pounded them into an evenly thin slices. I marinated it with soy sauce and pepper.

Later, I dipped into rice flour (preferably plain flour), and then into beaten egg and lastly, panko which is the Japanese version of breadcrumbs. I bought the breadcrumbs from Fairprice Finest at Thomson Plaza but I believe the packet of breadcrumbs can be found in any supermarkets. Once it's done, I deep fried it into a pot of hot oil.

This is my first attempt in making Tonkatsu.

I guess I need to look after the meat because due to my slight neglience, there were some charred bits in the cutlet itself. I cut them into thin slices for easy consumption and placed on a bed of lettuce. I decided to use lettuce and tomato wedges as a vegetable and garnish respectively for absorption of the greasy pork cutlets.

No comments: