Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Big Barley

This afternoon, I had lunch with Ellie and Cheryl at Golden Wall Centre's Kopitiam. While Ellie and Cheryl went ahead for a full lunch, I opted for dessert as I had a heavy lunch before that.

I ordered Da Mai (literally translated, Big Barley) which costs S$1.50. It's actually a hot dessert and the barley is usually cooked till soft and to perfection. It is often eaten with coconut milk. But when I tried it, it wasn't really nice at all. It was more starchy than what I thought.

Nowadays, it's hard to find places that sell this kind of desserts. The last time I know of such place was the Queen St. Market which is now in renovation. There was an old couple who sells Da Mai and Tau Suan - two of the most well-known desserts in the desserts arena - in the market and the desserts cost about S$1. However, they only opened the shop at random timing and day. Once it's sold out, they would close the shop. Thus, there was always a frequent long queue in that stall. I wonder if they still sell these desserts.

Anyway, I didn't finish up my Da Mai dessert.

No comments: