Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chinese New Year Edition - Day 13

7/2/09, Saturday - Three days before the Chinese New Year comes to a close (read: sad), I had a Chinese new Year lunch (again!) with my maternal relatives at Zhou Kitchen at Square Two.

There were a few plates of Keropok (crackers) on the table and I believed the flavour was prawn. My cousin, Wen urged me to try dipping the Keropok with the given sweet chilli sauce was also on the table. I dipped it with apprehension of course, and surprisingly, it was really good.

Our first course was Seafood soup with chunks of fresh prawns swimming inside the brown broth. Something different from the usual Shark Fin's soup.

The second dish was Broccoli with Mushrooms and Abalone. Sadly, the abalone was a small one. Didn't get enough of it. Hah!

Then, the Steamed Fish course arrived in designated small bowls. One of my cousins actually loved the sauce of this dish.

The fourth course was the usual Crispy Chicken. It was nothing special about this dish.

While we were at this dish, some of us were discussing about wasabi which is called horseradish and it can be found in most of the Japanese food. My little nephew, Brandon is often tricked into eating this green wasabi thing because the colour resembles green tea. So anyway, as we polishing our chicken dish, the next dish happened to be Deep-fried Prawns with Wasabi Cream.

The flavour wasn't really strong enough to cause my nose to drip. Instead, it was quite mild.

The second last dish was the Glutinous Rice fried with Chinese Sausages. It seemed that I have been eating this dish throughout this Chinese New Year's period.

Finally, the dessert was a Lemon Sorbet with Jelly. The sorbet was soft and sweet. It reminds me of our local Ice Kacang.

After our heavy lunch, all of us headed to my fifth uncle's place for tea and a game of mahjong. Then for tomorrow, it would be my first uncle's place where he will host dinner for us. More food pictures!

No comments: