Monday, February 2, 2009

Chinese New Year Edition - Day Six

30/1/09, Saturday - On this day, all my relatives from my mum's side came to our place for a visit. Thus, we have to clean the house and prepare some food for their arrival. My mum kindly cooked slices of 'nian gao' (means new year's sticky cake) with an egg batter. She would pan-fried it and soon, the cake would be soft and chewy. Yummy! Most of my relatives were often looking forward to eat slices of those with either tea or coffee.

For dinner, we headed down to Peach Garden Restaurant at Thomson Plaza. Before we entered into the restaurant, I happened to see Tay Ping Hui, a Mediacorp actor walking in opposite direction. Immediately, I nudged my mother who was looking elsewhere. Once I notified her, her head instantly turned to his walking direction. He is really tall. But he didn't smile at us or something. Maybe I'm too small for him to notice. Hah!

When we sat down on our designated table, two plates of oranges and sweet walnuts were placed on top of the table for us to munch on before the commencement of the dinner.

Once we gathered everyone on the table, our first dish finally arrived. Guess what, it was Fa Cai Yusheng again! (yes, again!) We mixed the Chinese Salad again. But what was interesting about this particular yusheng was that there were slices of crispy lotus.

Our second course arrived after the Yusheng. It was Double-boiled Shark's Bone Cartilage Soup with Shark's Fin and Tien Shin Cabbage. What a long title! Looking at the creamy soup, I reckoned it was a very nourishing soup since it was double-boiled.

The third course was Crispy Roast Duck. It was succulent and filled with fragrance. My cousin, Shuyang loved it.

This was my favourite dish - Deep-fried Fillet of Sea Perch with "Nonya" sauce. It was a really big piece of fish and the meat was moist and soft. The sweet and spicy sauce was fantastic. This was so much better than Fish and Chips.

The fifth course belonged to Braised Pig's Trotter with "Fa Cai". I only ate the meat and not the soft and rubbery fats. I gave it a pass.

Then came the Stewed Spinach Noodle with Live Prawn and Minced Meat Sauce. The noodle came in green colour but the noodle, which resembled our local, Mee Kia, tasted soft and less chewy.

Lastly, the desserts. We were given three kinds of dessert - one, their signature's and Nian GaoWater Chestnut Pudding. The nian gao tasted different from how my mum's cooked it and the pudding was really good. Wish I could have more.

The other dessert was Chilled Jelly Royale with Queball. However, I didn't take any pictures on that.



No comments: