Monday, February 2, 2009

Chinese New Year Edition - Day Two

27/01/09, Tuesday - According to the Chinese New Year traditions, the second day was supposed be the day for married daughters to return home to visit their own families. My family used to visit my maternal grandmother many years on this day before my late grandmother passed away six years ago. So instead of visiting my grandmother's house, we visited my second uncle's (my mum's second brother) place. We went there early as the older generation were all gearing up for a game of mahjong. As the next day was a school day, I brought my work to do. Bah!

For dinner, my second auntie cooked up a storm. But before the dinner commences, we had our usual Fa Cai Yusheng (again!).

This time round, we had more people than the first day. We mixed the Yusheng as words of good fortune were coming from everyone's mouths. I never failed to enjoy mixing the Yusheng as this dish can be termed as the Chinese's version of salad. Now for the main dishes, there was mutton curry.

The lovely pan-fried pork chops. I remember when I was young, I would love to eat this kind of pork chops with my hands till there wasn't any meat left in the bone.

Then, there was Sambal Chicken or Curry Chicken.

My auntie's latest creation or recipe, Mango Prawns. Initially, I thought it was pumpkin prawns.

The greens - Vegetables with Baby Abalone. Aren't they cute?

Lastly, the venomous and unhealthy Kong Ba (means, Fatty Pork Belly) which goes perfectly well with steaming buns. No, I didn't eat that of course.

This was my plate, filled with each of the above, except for the Kong Ba and Pan-fried pork chops. I have been eating less these days due to my health. But I guess eating in moderation is better.

Oone of the main highlights or rather the attention wasn't on the food, but it was on my two lovely and naughty niece, Chloe and her elder brother, Brandon. The latter has grown up so fast and began to look really handsome; whereas, Chloe is still as lovely as ever. With them around, there won't be any peace.

No comments: