Monday, July 21, 2008

Sunday's Lunch


On Sunday, my church pals and I went to Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe@Marina Square after an
unanimous vote on this eating place for our lunch. I have been to other outlets since the cafe opens 24 hours on Fri - Sun. I must say that ever since Hong Kong Cafe have mushroomed all over our small island two years ago, we all are spolit for choice and meanwhile, ponder the authenticity of their food.

Anyway, I ordered the Chessy Baked Rice with Fish Fillet (S$9.90) which comes with a few medium-sized chunks of fish fillets. Previously, I would ordered Soup Noodles with Luncheon Meat and Egg whenever I am at this cafe. However, after I have seen Gin eating on Chessy Baked Rice with Black Pepper Beef, I was enticed by it and I said to myself, "I must try this the next time!"

Although it's not Black Pepper Beef, the fish fillets weren't too bad. Underneath the cheese was tomato-based sauce rice and the fish. They really put lots of cheese on top of the rice which makes it gooey and soft. As I was hungry, I cleaned the entire casserole up. So proud of myself for not wasting food.

Vana tried the Dry Noodles with Luncheon Meat and Egg (S$6.50). They have the soup version as well for people who like soupy stuff. To me, it looks a little too dry for my liking and the noodles are those instant noodles kind, not Mee Kia or Mee Poh. Strangely, Hong Kong people actually love eating instant noodles with Luncheon Meat and Egg. It's like their food sample for all meals. The egg is actually poached and people who like to burst open the wobbly yolk are welcome to do so. But I don't really like poached egg and normally in this instances, I would only eat the egg white, not the yolk.

After my meal, I ordered HK Milk Tea (S$2.70 (H), S$2.90 (C)) to wash down my main meal. The tea actually tasted different from our usual Lipton Tea or Twinning Tea bag and I believe that they used different types of tea leaves and a strainer to get hold of the tea essence. It tasted quite thick as well. Hong Kong people seem to have an obsession of drinking milk tea in the afternoon and I surmised it must be the influence of the English when the British government rule the island many years ago. So whenever I am at 'Cha Chan Teng' (literally translated, 'Hong Kong Cafe'), I would ordered milk tea over a cup of coffee.

No comments: