Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Waffle, Soup and Cakes!


On Tuesday, I had Gelare Ice Cream Waffle (S$6.90) at Far East Plaza. Basically I was there for two reasons: one, the FA gathering and two, 1/2 price freshly baked waffles. That's why we were all hooked on the freshly baked waffles especially on Tuesdays where all waffles are reduced to half-priced. Yippee! Unfortunately, not many people turned up for the gathering. Subsequently, only Ivy turned up.

I choose Strawberry Flavoured Ice Cream, Fresh Cream and a drizzle of maple syrup on my pippin hot waffle. As Ivy was filled up with her buffet lunch which she had before meeting me, I ended up eating the waffle alone. But I ended up finishing three quarter of the waffle because it was too filling especially the butter batter. As for the remaining one quarter, I left it together with the half eaten melted ice cream. But it was worth it for a full waffle and with ice cream as well. On normal days, it cost more than $10.

After lunch, we went to Opera Gallery at Takashimaya to get our fix on art and culture. As my next appointment begins at 7pm, we decided to catch a movie, Dark Knight. I may not be a movie critic (which is why I am Munchie The Foodie) but I must say, that was one of the best Batman movies I ever watched so far. The storytelling and the cinematography were fantastic! I can't help being in awed by it.

In the evening, I met up with Jean and Sylvy - two of Charlene's good friends - at Cedele Bakery Depot@Wheelock Place to celebrate Charlene's birthday. As it was my first time dining at Cedele, I studied the menu properly as my mind ruminated about what I should eat since the restaurant promotes healthy eating.

In the end, I ordered Spiced Chicken Stew (S$10.90) and it came with free flow supply of fresh bread. The clear soup consists of chunks of chicken meat, carrots, radish, potatoes, croutons and lots of spices. Quite tasty actually.

However I need to cut the bread on my own accord because the wait staff don't serve bread with the soup together. As the place was pretty dim and there wasn't any indication of all the breads, I surmised I choose Rye Sourdough. I spread the provided butter on the bread and it was pretty good. Yet I only ate one slice.

After the dinner, we went across the street to PS Cafe@Palais for some hardcore desserts. Since I have not been to PS cafe either at Dempsey Road or Paragon, it was definitely an eye-opener for me. The interior of the cafe alone is really posh and beautifully decorated. The atmosphere was amicable. I have not been to a cafe that is close to that. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take photos of the cafe's interior. Darn! As a result, we can only take pictures on things that are lay on our table.

The wait staff gave us two choices of dining: one, inside the cafe or two, alfresco dinning. Charlene choose alfresco dining. Initially I thought it would be warm or stuffy but surprisingly, it was pretty breezy.

Now, the thing you have been waiting for: desserts! Since PS Cafe is famed for their smorgasbord of cakes, it came with the price too. We choose different cakes to try.

Jean ordered Sweet N Sour Lemon Pie (S$12). It tasted absolutely sweet and sour! One of the best lemon pies I have ever tasted so far.

Sylvy ordered Chocolate Crunch Doorstop (S$15.90). Very chocolately and after a while, one can be put off by all the richness of the chocolate. There was a hint of walnuts and some other nuts in the chocolate cake. Not forgetting, the cake is topped with a few Maltese Chocolates. More chocolates!

Charlene and I shared Coconut Bakewell Tart (S$12). I love the tart's crust! The tart actually tastes like the usual coconut tart which one can find in any bakery but for this tart, the coconut just melt in your mouth and it doesn't leave any unpleasant coconut shreds in one's throat.

My plate of everything.

To accompany my dessert, I had Earl Grey Tea (S$5) instead of my usual diet of coffee. I decided to change for the evening. It comes in a pot and a strainer. Because I have not drink tea in such practices, I had to ask Charlene what the strainer was for and she said it was to put over my cup and pour the tea through the provided strainer.

The cafe even provides cube sugar: white and brown cube sugar.

But oh my goodness, the tea was fantastic! I felt the calmness after I had the first sip of my Earl Grey Tea.

So throughout the night, we had a wonderful conversation over teas and cakes. Then all of the sudden, we had a funny conversation:

Me: (after seeing two Maltese chocolates swimming on Sylvy's plate) I love eating those balls!

Charlene: Hmm... You love balls?

Me: (giggling) No.. I meant those Maltese chocolate balls.


Gelare @ Far East Plaza Level One is located at Far East Plaza, #01-23, 14 Scotts Road. There are other outlets located islandwide as well.

Cedele Bakery Depot is located at Wheelock Place, #03-14, 501 Orchard Road. There are other outlets located islandwide as well.

PS Cafe @ Palais is located at Palais Renaissance Shopping Centre, Level 2, 390 Orchard Road. Next to Thai Embassy.
There are other outlets located islandwide as well.

No comments: