Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another version of Malaysian Hokkien Mee

For lunch - Fried Black Noodles with Luncheon Meat and Fishcake.

I attempted to cook a different version of the Malaysian Hokkien Mee where the noodles are usually black and kiam (def: salty) and I managed to do it with a good sigh of relief. I believe cubes of crispy pork lard can be found inside of the black noodles in the Malaysian's version.

Initially, I was pretty lazy to cook my lunch but my mum prompted me to have lunch because she doesn't want me to end up with gastritis. In order to pacify her, I relented by cooking this dish. I threw in stripes of luncheon meat and fishcake into the pan and fried them till fragrance. After that, I pour some water into the pan and allow it to simmer for a while. Once it's done, I placed the flour noodles into the pan and stir it together with the luncheon meat and fishcake. Instead of putting oyster sauce (which is usually done in the Malaysian's version of the Hokkien Mee), I drizzled lots of dark soy sauce. Also, I drizzled some soy sauce and pepper for taste.

Since this was my first attempt, it wasn't too bad. Because of the luncheon meat, the noodles tend to be a little salty. But overall, it's pretty good.

No comments: