Sunday, May 10, 2009

The process of cooking Fish Head Beehoon on Mother's Day...

On this very special day, I celebrated it with my mum early this morning with New York Cheesecake (S$18 per half kg) from Dino Cake House & Cafe before I head down to church.

Personally, Mother's Day is a wonderful time to cherish and appreciate the selfless love which my mum bestowed us over the past years. My brother and I truly appreciate her kindness and patience. Love ya, mum!

I ate a small slice of the cake and it tasted quite yummy.

For dinner, four aunties from my dad's side came over to visit my mother and at the same time, catching up with one another. My second aunt, who is a brilliant cook, whipped up a storm in the kitchen. Ever since I had a strange craving for deep-fried chicken wings for the past weeks, she took that into consideration and deep-fried many chicken wings to me to gorge. Oh man! And of course, I had about three pieces of those crispy chicken and it was good. What a way to satisfy my cravings! :D

Subsequently, she cooked the main fish which, was the Fish Head Beehoon, and I had a wild time capturing photos and learning how to cook Fish Head Beehoon from her.

First step: Marinate the fish with soy sauce, pepper and garlic. After that, sprinkle some corn flour onto the fish and start coating it. This is to prevent the hot oil from splashing as there might be retaining water from the fish.

Second step: Deep-fried it in a very hot oil. Make sure it sizzles! :D

Third step: After 10 minutes, take out the fish heads and drain them on a paper towel.

Fourth and the last step: Throw in chopped vegetables of your choice and meat into a pot of boiling water. Once the water is boiled, throw in the deep-fried fish heads and allow it to simmer for a while. Drizzle some salt and pepper for taste. Lastly, throw in the noodles of your choice. And tada! It's done.

Well, this is my bowl of Fish Head Beehoon.

My auntie used flour noodles, which is used for Laksa, and she used Wong Bok vegetables to balance out the numerous fish heads which were swimming inside a pool of slightly clear broth. Sadly, there wasn't any taste and we surmised that she forgot to put salt into the broth. True enough, she didn't. But overall, it was still good.

Next time, I will ask her to cook Nasi Lemak and I will probably learn that skill from her. Heh! :)

No comments: