Friday, September 19, 2008

Mid-Autumn Festival, Lanterns and Homecooked Food

Last Sunday was the Mid-Autumn Festival and whenever it arrives in the month of September, it will always be a hysterical period for me. Thoughts of delicious mooncakes, colourful lanterns and family bonding will start to form in my mind. But sadly, I didn't really eat alot of mooncakes this year for certain reasons.

Early in the morning, my mum boiled a pot of small yams for us to eat as part of the festival. These cute and small yams can cause sticky fingers when you start peeling the skin. I ate about 2 of these yams.


In the evening, my mum had to attend a wedding dinner and thus, the atmosphere was already half-gone. So I cooked myself a homecooked dinner with rice, fried egg with onions and vegetables.

It was neither greasy or filling of sort. It was just a comforting dinner which I had after a long while.

After the dinner, my dad helped to light up all the lanterns at our backyard. As he did that, I helped to illuminate the dark concrete floor with candles. Eventually, everything looked very romantic and cosy.

As for the mooncakes, I didn't really take many pictures of the mooncakes which my parents bought. But I ate a pastry which took a form of a piglet and inside of it was filled with lotus paste. Usually, there isn't any filling to accompany this golden brown pastry. I remember I love to eat this when I was a little.

I also had Tau Sar Piah - a flaky pastry which has mung beans filling inside. It's very good.

Though I didn't take many pictures of this festival, I still have fun enjoying my mooncakes and gazing at the full moon.

No comments: