Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day Dinner


On Father's Day, my dad had a real treat of my mum's homemade carrot cake. Whenever there is any occasions within the family like farewell party or Chinese New Year, my mum would bake all kinds of cake for us and we are so privilege to eat her cakes.


The cake was really good. I have always enjoy eating my mum's homemade cakes since I was a kid. I even once suggested that she should open her own bakery but she always shrugged it off. Anyway, my dad commented that the carrot cake was a little sweet.

As for dinner, we went to have chicken rice at Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice Restaurant at Upper Thomson Road. My dad didn't want any fancy restaurants except for all of us to dine together as a family. That's his wish for Father's Day.


We had half steamed chicken (S$12). They ran out of roasted chicken though I wanted to eat it so badly. I'm a roasted chicken fan man! The cook chopped up the drumstick and thigh meat for us even though I prefer breast meat. Okay, looks like I am quite a fussy eater.


We also ordered other dishes besides the steamed chicken. I ordered the Salad Youtiao (S$4 for small serving) which had the youtiao filled with fish paste and then deep-fried. It was served with mayonnaise as a dipping sauce.


My brother ordered his all-time favourite Sweet and Sour Pork (S$8). Sadly, there wasn't any pineapple found in the tomato-based gravy.


My dad ordered the Broccoli with garlic (S$8). I didn't get to taste this one as I hate the taste of Broccoli. I prefer Cauliflower to Broccoli.


Our additional dishes were supposed to end here when the friendly waiting staff suggested that we ordered their specialty dish called Hometown Tofu (S$6 for small serving). My mum got influenced by this suggestion and soon, it ended up on our table as well. To my surprise, the tofu was quite tasty. When I cut open the tofu, it was silky on the inside and crispy on the outside. Yummy!

At the end of the meal, the bill came up reasonably and my dad was pleased with it without burning his pocket on his day!

No comments: