Friday, June 27, 2008

The Forgotten Fried Carrot Cake and A Beef Noodles on a Loose


This morning I had breakfast with my brother at our favourite hangout: a traditional quaint coffeeshop. We often patron this coffeeshop for its aromatic coffee and delicious kaya toast. It goes all the way down in our family line - where my late grandfather used to drink coffee at this coffeeshop - and now we, the third generation, are drinking coffee from the same coffeeshop.


So anyway, my brother ordered the usual order of a coffee, two slices of kaya toast and two soft-boiled eggs. As for me, I ordered fried carrot cake (S$2.50) from another stall and also my usual coffee.

Then, something funny happened. After I told the auntie about my order, I went back to my table. I waited for about 5 minutes and my carrot cake still hasn't arrived on the table. It was a mystery as the place wasn't really crowded. Furthermore, my brother almost finished up his breakfast. So I went back again and guess what, after I asked her about my order, her jaws dropped and without any word spoken, I understood her body language that says, "Oh my God, I forgot about your order!" I just grinned.


In the later part of the day, I went to have the famous Hock Lam Street Popular Beef Noodle. It's situated at Purvis Street where the Hainanese people (my dialect roots) used to stay when they arrived in Singapore (then Nanyang). It wasn't crowded when I went there (read: 3pm) and after reading the menu, I ordered the dry beef noodles (S$5, small) and it comes with a bowl of soup.


The dry beef noodles over here is different from the normal beef noodles stalls. It comes with strips of Szechuan Vegetable, bean sprout and a spoonful crushed peanuts. The gravy is much lighter here and after mixing with all the ingredients, it's neither salty nor bland. It means the combination is just nice. The only thing I pick a bone at is that the price is too exorbitant.

No comments: