Monday, June 9, 2008

Flosses and Dumplings Day!


On Sunday's morning, I had Flosses Buns from BreadTalk. I had a sudden craving for it without knowing why but I guess when you have craving for something, you would just go out and buy your craving without thinking. So I went into BreadTalk @ Citylink the night before and got two flosses buns - a non-spicy and spicy one. I forgot to snap a photo of the non-spicy one.


The Fire Flosses Bun (S$1.50) was littered with spicy pork flosses. I reckoned that the fiery bits are made up of hae bee hiam [spicy dried prawns]. I enjoyed every bite of flosses and the bun. Yummy!

On the same day, it was also the Dragon Boat Festival (also called Duan Wu Festival) where people commemorate the Chinese patriotic poet Qu Yuan for his patriotic deeds. It's also the day where Dragon Boat race is being held.


My mum bought a bunch of nonya dumplings from the nearby shop. I remembered my late grandmother used to make a lot of dumplings with extraordinary flavour like spicy dumplings. During this period, most of my aunties would help her with all the wrapping of the dumplings. Well, since I can't wrap, I just eat them up.

Here is the innards of the dumpling. It's filled with strips of winter melon, marinated pork and etc. Quite nice.


A trivia: Well, story goes back to ancient China during the Warring States period when Qu Yuan was a minister in state of Chu. He loved his country immensely. Thus, when his country was being captured by state of Qin, he threw himself into the Miluo River as a way of protest against corruption. And because the people loved him so much, they threw dumplings into the river so that the fishes won't eat Qu Yuan's body.

That's how Dragon Boat Festival was derived from.

No comments: