Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Good Friend's Engagement Party

9/11/08, Sunday - Finally, they are engaged! My good friend, Wati finally engaged to a man of her dreams, Juraimi on this special day. Myself and a few other of our friends were invited to her engagement party.

When Ping and I went over to her place, she was still in amidst of preparing herself in her room before the groom's family comes over in the later part of the afternoon. So instead of waiting aimlessly in her house, her brother advised us to take our lunch at their lunch banquet below their block. Usually for a Malay wedding, their engagement/wedding banquet takes place at the void deck and it is in a buffet-style unlike in the Chinese wedding where there are 8-course dinner. Moreover, one can eat as much as they want and once he/she is done with the eating, he/she can leave the table. As for the Chinese wedding, one has to wait for course after course before he/she can leave the banquet.

There weren't many people at the banquet when we went there. So we took our time to choose a table and have ourselves feel comfortable. There was a bunch of banana on every table and Ping was a little curious on 'why would a Malay wedding need a bunch of banana on the table'. Anyway, she took one before the main course and I think she enjoyed it.

At the urging of Wati's brother, I hop over to the buffet section to see what were the food in store for us. Here are some of the food which were served at the banquet:

Achar Achar

Beansprout with Desiccated Coconut

Beef Rendang

Sambal Bamboo Shoot

Sambal Tempeh with Long Beans

Curry Chicken

The Dessert Corner

I guess the transparent film wrap that was in placed at the dessert corner was to prevent any flying insects from coming onto the food. Though it looked kinda ugly, I believe hygiene is pretty much important as well.

Here was my plate of food.

I didn't really tried some of the dishes such as Sambal Tempeh with Long Beans and Sambal Bamboo Shoots but the Beef Rendang was really good. I love eating the spicy Beef Rendang. Yum!

Here was the plate of desserts which I took for Ping and myself to share.

I love the mini Chocolate cake, the Kuehs and the coconut jelly. The coconut jelly was real good. I had a couple of it before I have to stop myself from eating.

After a filling lunch, we went over to her place as the groom's family has finally arrived. As a good friend, I have the privilege to enter her bedroom and get exclusive pictures before everyone else has the chance to see it. So when I first stepped into the room, I was taken back by the lavish and colourful gifts that were on her bed. Little then I know that for a Malay engagement, the bride will prepare several gifts for the groom while the groom's family will also prepare several gifts for the bride. Thus, when the groom's family (minus the groom himself) arrives at her place, the exchange of gifts will then take place.

These were some of the gifts Wati prepared for the groom. (L-R) A heart-shaped cake, Ferrero Rocher Chocolates, Assortment of Cupcakes, Wedding ring and watch and Cadbury Choclairs in a basket.

There was a basket filled with delicious mangoes as well. Looks real yummy.

When the exchange finally took place, her entire room was changed. The groom prepared two heart-shaped box of sweets for her and decorated lights were brimming out of the basket as well. So sweet!

The mango jelly and the Banana/Coconut Cake.


It was truly a cultural experience for me but I did enjoy myself at her engagement party especially with the food and the fun!

No comments: